Seichamps, January 18, 2015

At breakfast Jacqueline gave me the local newspaper with an article about the exhibit that included a short blurb about Dyane Taylor. I guess that’s better than being Diane Tucson….

Today was day 2 of the Exposition of artists from Seichamps (and elsewhere), with hours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I’ve been pleased with my exhibit, largely because Jacqueline has provided some strong guidance. I have my laptop, with a little fan under it to keep it cool, and I’ve run a slide show of a bunch of my pieces. Some people actually stood and watched it for a minute or two. Others remarked on some of the enlarged photos, especially the one of the bowl with the apricot that’s also on the website. It helps to have professional guidance (a professional photographer in one of my groups was kind enough to pass along a few tips last year).

Stand, with mannequin and laptop, Sunday

Stand, with mannequin and laptop, Sunday

The morning was slow; the whole group moved to a different room for lunch. This took a little longer than I expected — an hour and a half. I went out after an hour to see what was happening and found two or three people looking and NO artists or others around. But nothing seemed to disappear.

Friday Jacqueline introduced me to Renée, a woman at the framing and cartonnage exhibit across from me. We’re now fast friends. She took me under her wing, directed people over to me, explaining I was from Arizona and generally helping me. Today she saved me a place at lunch, so I was with her group, which was nice. The man next to me spoke some German and some English, Renée was on the other side. The man across from me was quite nice — everyone was kind about repeating or explaining when necessary.

About 3:30 what appeared to be all of Seichamps began showing up. This continued through 5. The people who stopped to talk were quite nice and patient with my slow French. I got good at explaining, “it’s not enamel, it’s glass, fired in a kiln at 700 to 800 degrees (Celsius)”.

Sunday afternoon we had a sudden surge of visitors.

Sunday afternoon we had a sudden surge of visitors.

Many people seemed familiar with cloisonné, enamel on copper. Some seemed to know fusing, many seemed unfamiliar with it. I’m not sure what that means (recalling that some folks on Kinney Road in Tucson were unfamiliar with it, yet every other person in Tucson fused glass, or so it seems).

Jacqueline and André helped me get my stuff together, and that was it. I’ll stay in touch with Renée, who will be taking a tour of the western US with her husband in October, and maybe with a painter who talked to me quite a bit. When I thanked the organizer, she said maybe I could come back next year, so I guess my work and I were fit in OK.

As I write this, I have the company of Iso (pronounced “ee-zo”), André’s hunting companion. I asked about his name; André worked with ISO standards for highways and confirmed that’s where the name came from. The dog is part Spaniel and pointer (according to the dictionary).

Iso, André's hunting companion, keeping me company

Iso, André’s hunting companion, keeping me company

Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: